Sunday, August 11, 2013

Weekend in Aminawa

This weekend Andrew and Rachel invited me to go with them to Aminawa.  Saturday the church members began putting the roof on their first church building, so we went to be of help and support.

We left early Saturday morning before the mist and fog had a chance to melt away. I rode in the back of the truck with Anteresa and Baimuri, and nearly all of their children. Me, two women, and a bundle of children all piled up in the back, with Andrew and Rachel in the front.  It was an interesting ride to say the least. Every now and then, I'd glance at a little face beaming with excitement at all the fun riding in a truck can bring.  Then we'd get jostled around a bit, and that expression would change. Usually that would result in laughter from me and the two mothers.

We made it to our parking spot, and began the hike into Aminawa. We arrived around 9am, as the men had already begun putting up the roof.  It was really neat to see all of the people come out to help, even those that don't attend church!  There were people all over the hill side all day long.  Men putting up the roof or digging a pit for the fire, and ladies preparing all kinds of food.  Rachel and I peeled lots of kao kao and bananas, but they had squash, tapioke, greens, pit pit, and more!  It was literally a dinner on the ground. Once all the food was ready, they brought it to us on banana leaves.  I was pretty hungry, but they must have brought me enough food for 3 large men, so I ended up sharing most of my meal. By the end of the day I was dubbed, Nani (Nah-nee). I'm unsure of the spelling, but it means big sister.  It made my heart smile:)

As it started to get dark we walked down to the community hall building, and Andrew and Rachel set up the projector so we could watch some films.  They showed the story of the serpent being lifted up in the wilderness, and it's connection to Jesus Christ being lifted up to die for us.  Afterwards we watched the life of Jesus in Pigin. There must have been up to 200 people there.  Many who have not placed their faith in Jesus Christ watched as the gospel was presented to them.  I couldn't help, but to look out at the faces aglow with the light of the projector, and wonder if God was tugging at their hearts.  I know we were all praying for those that might have been lost.  I have faith in God's promise that his word will not return void.

We stayed the night with Reuben, at his house along with Malasi, Phillip, and their families.  Reuben is a member of the church in Aminawa, and Malasi and Phillip are two of the bible school students here in Kunai. The next morning I woke up to pigs, roosters, and babies stirring around.  I left my little room to go sit near the fire in the big room.  Malasi and Phillip led a devotion for their families, and I just sat and listened as they sang hymns, and spoke from God's word.

Church began around 9am, and we sat under the tarp as the weather went back and forth from sunny and hot, to misty and cold. When you barely know Pigin and only a handful of Kamean words, it becomes increasingly difficult to stay focused on a message or conversation, when running on little sleep.  I couldn't help but think how nice it would have been to be sitting in a padded pew back home, listening to a message in English.  But then I remembered all the people who watched the video, who desperately needed to hear the Gospel, and I realized how much of a wimp I was being.  God commands us to go to the uttermost, and these people need Christ as much as we in America do.  I wonder what if no one had come to Aminawa or PNG because it was going to be uncomfortable.  I had to stop and think about that day when I come face to face with my Creator. When He asks me why I didn't tell my friend, my co-worker, or that stranger about His Son, Jesus Christ. What will I say to the One who bled and died for me.  The One who loves me with an incomprehensible love. "Umm, I didn't want to make things awkward?" My heart breaks at the thought of all my lost chances, and time that I've wasted.  I'm grateful for that reminder this weekend.  I needed it.

After church we hiked back home, and enjoyed a tasty pineapple along the way.  We stopped to visit with Benjamin for a little while, and storied with him about his new house and other things going on around here. He is always a blessing to visit with. He has such a sweet spirit that is sure to always put me in a better mood. We left from there, and made our way home in the truck safely.

It truly was a wonderful weekend.  Filled with new memories, and rekindled burdens.  I pray I don't forget them.


No comments:

Post a Comment