Friday, October 18, 2013

I wrote this a few days ago if some of the dates I mention get confusing..

The Gibello family has been visiting with us for one week.  They brought their two children ages 4 and 2 with them, and we have had such a great time!  I've had light saber battles, played hide and seek, been thrown in "jail", and attacked with toy snakes and frogs.  It's been lots of fun having them around, not sure what we'll do once they leave!

On Friday afternoon, Hannah and Ariel rounded everyone up to play some baseball.  It seemed everyone in the village came to play once they got home from work.  Each team probably had 25 to 30 players.  Ages 5 to 45, and anywhere from 3 feet to 6 feet tall.  I think the women cheered and shouted more than I've ever heard them even say a word.  Although my team lost, I would say we had the best team spirit ;)

Saturday was the first sunny day we've had in a while.  I walked outside, and almost lost my breath at how good it felt to have the sun shining on my face!  After choir, I sat outside the church for nearly two hours with some of the youth girls singing different songs from the church song book. They taught me the chorus of "Oh How I Love, Jesus" in Kamea, and I taught it in English.  So we would sing it in English, then Pigin, then Kamea.  I'm positive I'm still pronouncing the words wrong, but they were very encouraging, haha!

Our time outside ended, when a mother came asking for help for her young boy.  The story was a bit confusing, but somehow a tree or piece of wood had fallen on his foot and cut the top open pretty badly.  It definitely needed stitches.  I went to get Rachel, and on my way back saw him hobbling over on one foot with a stick for extra support.  He had walked all the way here, and I could tell he was trying hard not to cry. I felt so sorry for him, and I just couldn't stand there. I asked if he wanted me to carry him the rest of the way, which wasn't far, and he did.  I saw myself in that little guy, struggling, hobbling along, and clinging to my little stick for support. Just trying to make it as far as I can on my own. Only asking for help when I can't do it anymore, if I even ask for help at all. All the while my Heavenly Father is right there, waiting for me to let go of my wobbly stick, and lean on Him instead.

At dinner the same night, another man came needing stitches right above his eye.  He had been playing soccer after dark, and ran into the goal post.  It took quite a while to get the bleeding to stop, so I held pressure on the wound, Rachel stitched, and Andrew and Hannah held up a lamp and a flashlight. "How many white people does it take to sew one man up?"

For tea time today, Ariel and I opted for water instead.  The weather has been getting so much warmer lately, and hot tea didn't sound very appetizing.  So we drank our water, and chatted in the hammocks on the front porch.  The Gibello's little boy decided to come visit us, and he seemed quite enamored with all the spiders I have hanging around the place, and all the different ways into and out of the house.  We went in and outside nearly 50 times, and then settled down with a banana to snack on.  

I hope you enjoy reading about the everyday happenings in Kunai! Thanks for reading, and thanks for praying!


4 comments:

  1. I do enjoy reading it! And your letter in the newsletter was priceless! Thank you for fulfilling I Timothy 4:12! May God continue to bless and use you for his glory! ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith I may be late reading your post, but it sure was timely for me. Your story about the boy hobbling with the stick has been me soo much. Jesus comes and carries me. Perspective of life sure changes during hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way Faith, I've started a blog:
    http://janicearmistead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. NEW BLOG NOW: http://mygreathighmajesty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete