Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Uriah's Story

His mom brought him up to the clinic porch.  It was nearly all he could do to keep his eyes open.  If there is anything finer than thread, he was hanging onto it.

Severely dehydrated from his sickness, we attempted to re-hydrate him.  Hours passed inside the clinic, and improvement seemed next to impossible.  His breathing became shallow, and he was barely arousable.  "This is it," I thought.  Pastor and the bible school students came with their wives to pray.  We prayed together, and we cried together.  Uriah just wasn't going to make it.

But still he hung on.  He would stay the night in Pastor's cookhouse.  We would check on him every two hours or so.  By this time he had a tube placed down his nose because he couldn't drink on his own.  Each visit would be different.  Deterioration to improvement to deterioration again.  My heart was aching. Throughout the night with each dog bark or rooster crow my mind would wonder, "Was that..?" or "I hope.."

Morning came.  He was still alive.  We would repeat ourselves until he was healed one way or another.  People were praying all over the world.  Praying for God to work a miracle.  It was up to God.  We knew nothing we could do would be successful without Him.  The Lord gives and He takes away, but we will always bless His name.

Day turned into night, and for four days he hung on.  It's all a blur now, but maybe it was Friday or Saturday I'm not sure.  Dad tells me he's been eating cucumbers and bananas plus he's keeping it all down.  Such a victory for this little guy.  We held him a day or two more just to be sure.  He went home on Sunday with his mom a completely different child.

So thankful for stories like these, and for the one true God who makes them possible.

Uriah's name means "the Lord is my light." - "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

I can't help but wonder if one day his mom will tell him the story of how he almost died, but God was the light that pulled them through.  I can't help but wonder if one day when Uriah is old and gray, that he'll look back on all the times that God was faithful to be his light - to be his strength.  I can't help but wonder if maybe one day I'll see Uriah's face again in Heaven.  I can't help but wonder, if all I'll be able to do is fall at His feet, and thank him for being my light - for being my strength - for being my God.

4 comments:

  1. Faith, this reminds me of a song that I love..."It's Amazing What A Prayer Can Do"...

    I'VE SEEN A MAMA AND A BABY.
    HE'S FOUGHT FOR LIFE
    THE WHOLE NIGHT THROUGH. 
    SEEMED HOPE WAS GONE,
    OH HOW THE TEARS FELL,
    NOT JUST A FEW. 
    BUT THERE’S OLD GRAND-PAW,
    OVER IN THE CORNER. 
    HE KNEW THE ONE,
    WHO’D PULL HIM THROUGH. 
    AND THAT BABY’S STILL ALIVE
    TO SHOW, WHAT PRAYER CAN DO.
     
    We're keeping you and yours in our prayers.

    Kathy Price

     

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an amazing story. I've been praying for litttle Uriah and all the other babies. I know not all of their stories have such happy earthly endings, but their families and all of you are in my daily specific prayers. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you and all the people whose lives you are touching in this incredible way, each and every day. May God continue to bless your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So amazed at home God is illuminating Himself through your work and your words! Praying for you DAILY! Lorrie

    ReplyDelete